"Growing God's Family One Seed at a Time"
Rives Chapel Baptist Church is a member of the Sandy Creek Baptist Association, located in Chatham County near Siler City, North Carolina. Our church has a long and distinguished history among North Carolina Baptist churches.
In the year 1819, a member of Bear Creek Church made a request that Bear Creek Church organize an arm of the church, which would be called The Tick Creek Meeting House. In the same year, approximately sixty members were dismissed upon request from the Bear Creek Church, and formed a new church on our present day location. The church was known as the Tick Creek Meeting House for the next thirteen years.
The Baptist State Convention met at Tick Creek Meeting House(Rives Chapel)on August 3, 1832. Warren Brooks, who was licensed to preach by the church, was a member of the convention representing Rives Chapel. This was a historic meeting of the convention, as the delegates voted to begin a school of higher learning, now Wake Forest University, and to begin publication of a state paper now known as the Biblical Recorder.
Tick Creek Meeting House was renamed and was constituted as Rives Chapel Baptist Church on October 16, 1832. It was received into the Sandy Creek Association on Sunday, October 27, 1832.
Around 1835 a new church to be named Mineral Springs Baptist was constituted. This church was formed by thirty-five members who were dismissed by request from Rives Chapel. Rives Chapel Baptist is listed as the mother church of Mineral Springs Baptist.
According to Sandy Creek Association history, Rives Chapel enjoyed extensive revivals in its early years, a tradition that still stands today.
Rives Chapel is located on approximately 30 acres of beautiful land in central Chatham County. Our current sanctuary was built on it's present site in 1919, after the original building came under disrepair. The sanctuary building was completed in 1921. An education building was erected beside the sanctuary in 1958. This building currently houses our church offices, the choir room, the library and several senior adult Sunday school classes. Our current education building, and was dedicated in May, 1974. Located next to the original education building, this facility is home to our young adult, children and youth Sunday school classes as well as the fellowship hall. The church voted to remodel the sanctuary in May, 1976 and a baptistry was added at that time.The work was completed in August of the same year. The church completed further remodeling efforts, which included the present day vestibule and the new steeple in June, 2001.
Rives Chapel Baptist rewrote it's constitution and filed an Article of Incorporation in 1992. The church was incorporated in 1993.
As you can see by its history, Rives Chapel has been and continues to be a missions-minded church, as well as an evangelistic church by standing firm in the teachings of the Bible, as it is written, to the people and for the people of God... growing God's family one seed at a time.